On average, a solo dental practice needs a minimum of 20 new patients per month to succeed. That’s 20 new faces that need to pass through your door month in and month out! The question is how do you attract them? With great dental marketing!
Australia dentists, however, are now facing a problem. It’s estimated that around 51% of all new dental patients use online search engines to research and find their chosen dentist. This means that ‘old school’ marketing methods just aren’t as effective as they once were. As such, different tactics are required. With this in mind, here are some good dental marketing strategies that marketers use to get your dental practice found online and grow your business.
Tip 1 – Update and optimise your Google My Business page
Do you know that map of listings that come up when you type in a business name and location? Well, that’s known as Google’s Local Pack. This information is pulled from various Google My Business pages and can account for up to 44% of traffic by users looking to find a particular business. The good news is that it isn’t difficult to optimise and quick to do. Simply claim your business page and fill in all the details.
Tip 2 – Give your Australian dental website a facelift
Your website is the first impression many people see, so, unfortunately, potential dental patients will judge you on how good or bad it looks. If you feel your dental website could do with a facelift, here’s what you can do to make it more user-friendly:
- Set up online booking/scheduling
- Quality messaging capabilities so people can contact you easily
- Take pictures of your team and write profiles
- Add great pictures and videos
- A good supply of informative dental content that readers can use to maintain their oral health.
- You need to make it responsive
- You need to make it secure, and
- You should be looking to make it mobile friendly!
- Finally, it needs to be coded with SEO.
Tip 3 – Start blogging
Did you know that blogging is one of the best things you can do for your online dental marketing? What’s more, it’s cost-effective too! How about blogs like:
‘Do Charcoal strips really work to whiten teeth?
What’s the best toothbrush, electric or manual?
How often should I visit the dentist – Really?
How much do dental implants cost?’
While this type of content will pique a reader’s interest, it’s also going to appear more favourable in the eyes of Google.
By continually adding informative and useful content/pages to your site, Google will start to see you as an authority site. As such you have a greater chance of being ranked above your competitors who don’t blog or who have limited ‘so, so’ content.
Tip 4 – Optimise your site
In addition to being written for the reader, all dental website content should be optimised for keywords. Google SEO rankings are determined by a complex algorithm. That algorithm crawls your page and looks for keywords indicators and other factors such as relevancy to decide what your page is about. Then when someone types in a search, Google matches the query with the best answer content. If done right, that will be yours! SEO optimisation is an important part of dental marketing and if done right, it can garner a ton of traffic.
Tip 5 – Share and share alike! The power of social media
So in dental marketing terms, what do we mean by the term ‘shareable’? It means that content should be highly useful or valuable to others. Some ideas may be to;
- Create simple infographics – Did you know that infographics are one of the most shared content online – But why? Because they’re easy to read, are visually graphic and have the ability to sway opinions
- Create videos – Many dentists turn to videos as a way to position themselves as an authority, to build trust and to explain how they can help. Videos are great for sharing on social media platforms like YouTube but can also be placed on your dental website to enhance the user experience (UX)
- Share before and after’s – Naturally, you should always obtain consent, but who doesn’t want to see a great smile transformation. People love to look at before and after pictures.
Tip 6 – Ask for reviews
In all honesty, you need dental reviews and you need lots of them. Did you know that around 72% of people use online reviews as part of their research to find a new dentist. Not only that, as many as 88% of consumers trust online reviews more than word-of-mouth from friends or relatives so you should get your team used to ask new patients to leave a review. So where can you place reviews once you have them? Here are some suggestions:
- On your Google My Business account
- On your Facebook Business page
- Relevant dental directories such as White Coat
- And of course, the primary place they should be…front and centre on your dental website!
Tip 7 – Stay in mind with email dental marketing
Did you know around 66% of people say that the first thing they do when they wake up in the morning is to check their email? You could always greet them when they awake by reminding them of their forthcoming appointment, provide hints, tips and motivation to keep abreast of dental health, or even offer news about the latest dental technology to arrive in your office, or a new team member. Whatever you decide, patients respond better to regular emails from their dentist. – Naturally, be careful not to spam them. What’s more, if they need to recommend a dentist when someone asks them, they’re more likely to remember you.
Here are some other email ideas:
- Request a friend referral – possibly run some kind of a deal or promotion
- Latest news on treatment offers or new treatments
- Dental product reviews
- Timely reminder emails – Check-up’s and cleaning etc
- Latest dental news – what’s afoot in the industry and how it may benefit patients
- Timely Seasonal tips on how to protect teeth.
- Monthly newsletter
There is an understanding that people want more communication from their dentist, so what better way to do so than with some email dental marketing.
So there you have it, 7 top marketing tips to get the best out of your dental marketing strategies.
If you need help with your dental marketing, Australia-based Mediboost can help. We’re a Sydney marketing agency who specialise in expert marketing services for healthcare institutions including dentists. If you’d like to find out more about how we can help you, call today on 02 8073 8330